Old June 11th 09, 08:22 AM posted to uk.transport.london
David A Stocks[_2_] David A Stocks[_2_] is offline

Default Travelling to Gatwick from London, tomorrow (11/6/09)

"neverwas" wrote in message
om...

Finally, it's some years since I drove to work daily from Hackney to
Westminster but there was then a massive difference in traffic between
6:00 and 7:00.

Partly because bus lane restrictions start at 07:00, effectively halving
road capacity for cars. On the very few occassions I drove to work in
central London from the Gatwick area the key to success was to hit Elephant
& Castle by 07:00.

I don't know if the same true is now but in your shoes (flippers???) I'd
leave at 06:00, count it as a bonus if I arrived at Gatwick by 08:00 and
then treat myself to a good breakfast/brunch.

I think that would be my approach, probably via Blackwall Tunnel and A2/20
and M25, or a more direct route via the A23 corridor (I have various
strategies that avoid the A23 itself between Purley and Kennington). The
Gatwick exit from the M23 gets very congested around 08:00.
--
David A Stocks