Old December 21st 03, 11:21 PM posted to uk.transport.london
Richard J. Richard J. is offline

Default Claiming a refund after Camden Town derailment

Steve Fitzgerald wrote:
In message ,
writes

Probably checking to see if it is working. The 95 stock handsets are
notorious for not working/giving up part way through. Often this is
an intermittent fault that seems to be electronic rather than
mechanical (I think it uses electronic switching). Despite
repeatedly being reported, these defects are still occurring. It is
particularly galling when, during a period of delay/service
disruption/station closure and having made all the required
announcements regarding alternative arrangements, the driver is then
accused at the next station of not making any announcements!

We have similar problems on the Picc., usually due to people not
listening though, even though I start important announcements with
'Can I have your attention please Ladies and gentlemen.....'

That's a good technique, but the trouble is that there are now far too many
announcements, recently increased by the "good service" announcements every
few minutes. People just switch off after a bit and don't listen to any of
them. It would help if they replaced "This train is ready to depart.
Please stand clear of the closing" by "Mind the".
--
Richard J.