Old June 14th 09, 06:58 PM posted to uk.transport.london
Roland Perry Roland Perry is offline

Default 12 of the worlds most fascinating tunnel networks

In message
, at
07:54:07 on Sun, 14 Jun 2009, MIG
remarked:
http://www.oobject.com/category/12-o...inating-tunnel
-networks/

But not bad!

The top set of escalators at Piccadilly Circus seem to go through a
mystery right-angle on that diagram.

Perhaps related to the Bakerloo being mysteriously straight.

It also implies that the platforms cross over each other, when at
nearly every such interchange, including Piccadilly Circus I'm sure,
only the running tunnels cross, with the upper tunnel vertically
overlapping the ceiling of the line below, but beyond the ends of the
platforms.

In fact, isn't that the reason for the Bakerloo station having to be
extended over the crossover at the north end, because extending the
other end would encroach on the ceiling of the eastbound Piccadilly?

This is a remarkably similar view, but much older:

http://www.geocities.com/athens/acro...069/ltpicc.gif

Which makes me think that perhaps the escalator issue is an optical
illusion in the more modern drawing.