Old June 17th 09, 01:54 PM posted to uk.railway,uk.transport.london
Capt. Deltic Capt. Deltic is offline

Default Southern ITSO PAYG

On 17 June, 12:52, Peter Campbell Smith
wrote:
"Paul Scott" wrote :

SN seem therefore to be suggesting localised areas for Crawley/Gatwick
and Brighton. I expect there will be criticism from pax who'll think
they'll need more than one smartcard, but in principle, could the same
physical card contain for example Brighton area ITSO PAYG, a Brighton
to London ITSO Season, and Oyster PAYG? *Might there be a common cash
balance, or two separate ones?

The ITSO design allows for multiple logical cards on one physical card,
limited mainly by the amount of memory on the card, so the answer to the
first question is (probably) yes. *Because Oyster is not ITSO compliant (as
it was invented first) there is or was some debate as to how it could be
accommodated on an ITSO card such that existing Oyster readers didn't have
to be modified. *I have not heard that that issue has been resolved, but I
may be out of date on that.

However, I don't believe there is a means for the separate logical cards to
share a cash balance.

Peter

--
Peter Campbell Smith ~ London ~ pjcs00 (a) gmail.com

Under a £56.7 million deal funded by Df,T Prestige, the system which
runs Oyster cards, is being made ITSO compliant. This is known as
ITSO on Prestige (IoP)

So gates and readers on London Overground, Underground and buses, LRT
etc will be able to process ITSO compliant smart cards.

BUT, the functionality of the smart card will be limited to that of a
mag-stripe ticket..

This is a blatant plug for the next Column.