Old June 25th 09, 05:50 PM posted to uk.transport.london

Default Watford Junction Oyster validators

In article ,
(Paul Scott) wrote:

wrote in message
In article

,
(Andy) wrote:

On Jun 24, 1:22 pm, wrote:
In article

,

(Mizter T) wrote:
The LM trains on loan to Southern still have LM route maps in
them then? If so (what you say isn't entirely clear), then
that's a bit shabby. Though are the units on loan to Southern
fixed, or do they rotate (for maintenance purposes etc)?

They must be fixed, surely? They had to fit shoegear which only
applies to the units loaned to Southern.

They're not fixed, as there are at least 10 units with shoegear and
the 'spares' still operate LM services. There is an ECS diagram to/
from Selhurst to swap units over for maintenance.

So, only a small subset of the LM fleet but enough to come and go
between LM and Southern for maintenance. Most of the LM Desiro fleet
don't have shoegear, surely?

All the 350/1s already had shoegear fitted, but the actual shoes -
the 'wearing part' had apparently been removed AIUI. But the shoe
arm itself isn't usually visible, as it rotates upwards (pivoted at
the inboard end) behind the shoebeam, whenever the pantograph is
up. The edge of the shoe is only just visible when raised, so you'd
probably not realise it was there if the unit was at speed on AC
supplies. I photographed a WLL service during layover at Milton
Keynes last week with my phone camera - in the ambient light
conditions the shoe was visible to the eye, but didn't come out on
the picture...

Also, about 15 units have appeared on the WLL service so far - so
with only 4 out of 15 at a time needing SN maps, you can see why
they haven't bothered changing them.

OIC. I didn't realise how much had been done towards DC equipping the LM
Desiros. Why, AAMOI?

--
Colin Rosenstiel