Old July 3rd 09, 06:44 PM posted to uk.railway,uk.transport.london
Mizter T Mizter T is offline

Default Penalty Fares at mainline stations inside the zones....

On Jul 3, 7:02*pm, "solar penguin"
wrote:

Martin Petrov wrote:

Drop the sarcasm cos it makes you look a cock.

Better than sounding like an Oyster-apologist suck-up troll.

You're the troll. And what the hell is this about being an "Oyster-
apologist" - what on earth is that meant to mean?

Who the hell are you to
question whether or not "I've bought a paper ticket in the last few
years".

I'm someone who's had to buy hundreds of paper tickets in the past few
years, that's who!

That doesn't make you Martin though does it.

If I tell you I've not, then I've not, ok?

That still doesn't stop it being very hard to believe.

In which case you are as blinkered as you're trying to paint Martin.

"There exists SOME journeys where you can't use an Oystercard".
Brilliant. Buy your paper ticket then.

Yes, like I said, for most journeys you still need to buy a paper
ticket. *I'm glad you're finally seeing that.

What is this "most journeys" - you haven't actually defined what you
mean. Most people would I think take it to mean the majority of
journeys that are made. You now appear to be backpeddling to justify
your earlier comments by defining it as meaning all possible journeys
between any two stations in London. OK, *if* that's the definition
you're using then yes, I'd think paper tickets are required for the
majority of them.

At least for one off travel - but for daily commutes, I dare say a
fair number of people make use of season Travelcards as the NR leg is
part of a longer journey. (And season Travelcards that don't include
z1 are actually quite good value. And of course any season Travelcard
can be bought on Oyster.)

Many, many, many people buy the season travelcard. They're great. A
very large number of people have jobs within the zones and it's
scarcely more expensive to buy a monthly to do your daily commute into
town, and then everything else is FREE.

Only if the "everything else" means travelling in the same zones that
you already use for your daily commute. *No use at all for heading in
the opposite direction, getting away from the built up areas and the
crowds.

Agreed. But that hardly makes Oyster useless.
(And any Travelcard is good for any London bus.)

I use London
Overground a lot too which has obviously accepted pre-pay for a
good few years.

Which might be handy one day, but for now Overground is completely
useless for most journeys, since there's hardly anything of it
south of the river. So there's still the need for a paper ticket
to/from Clapham Junction to connect with it.

Overground is completely useless for most journeys? WTF are you
talking about?

There are lots and lots of places in London that are not served by
London Overground. *London Overground is no use for nearly all the
possible journeys between these places. *I don't see how I can put it
simpler than that.

OK, so your "most journey" definition does now appear to be "all
possible journeys between any two stations in London". Thanks for
clearing that up.

No, if I'd stayed in Finsbury Park where I lived previously, I could
have got tubes and overground trains with the Oystercard too.

Rather you than me. *I'd hate to live that close to central London even
with the benefit of Oyster tickets. *(And you still wouldn't be able to
use PAYG on all the FCC trains heading away from central London.)

The Oystercard is magnificent north of the river.

Except if you're going to Ilford, obviously.

Or to Enfield or Alexandra Palace or Chingford or Elstree or New Barnet
or Romford or Hendon (by Thameslink, not Northern line) or Gordon Hill
or Turkey Street, all of which are "north of the river" places I've
caught trains to over the past few years (mostly as a result of walking
the various stretches of the London Loop and Capital Ring).

So it's more accurate to say that Oyster is only "magnificent" in a very
few areas north of the river, but not in most of the places that I
actually want to go to.

Balls. It's useful (aka "magnificent) in a *great many* areas north of
the river. But it's all about you of course.

I appreciate that
mainline, south of the river doesn't have the best coverage for
Oyster, but it's coming, and before long, all the TOCs in London will
move into the 21st century and accept it

True, but I'm not talking about some hypothetical future situation. *But
the real situation on the ground over the past few years. *You're the
one that brought up the subject of the past few years. *Don't try to
wriggle out of it by jumping forwards in time .

And then what will you have to rant about?

You don't like the Oystercard - for whatever reason (probably living
south of the river or paranoid fear that MI5 are watching you and
recording your movements, whatever) - but don't trot out crap that
it's not useful - that is completely and utterly untrue.

Like I said, I'm glad you've found a way of making it useful for you.
Well done. *Congratulations. *But it genuinely isn't useful for people
like me, at least not yet. *And that's not "crap" but a simple fact.

Yes, but just because it isn't useful for you hardly makes it a "white
elephant", as you said elsewhere. Unless the world revolves around
you. In which case we must redraw the solar system.