Old July 3rd 09, 06:59 PM posted to uk.railway,uk.transport.london
Mizter T Mizter T is offline

Default Penalty Fares at mainline stations inside the zones....

On Jul 3, 7:22*pm, "solar penguin"
wrote:

Mizter T wrote:

On Jul 3, 6:00 pm, "solar penguin"
wrote:

Mizter T wrote:

Agreed that it doesn't appear that Mr Petrov has ventured outside
PAYG- land *and also* outside his Travelcard's zones - i.e. to
some of the further reaches of London accessible only by suburban
rail (though they're pretty much all accessible by bus of
course). But I dare say the same applies for a great many number
of Londoners.

"The further reaches of London accessible only by suburban rail"?
And what about the great many number of Londoners who happen to
live in these mysterious, far-off, unexplored no-go areas? Don't we
count?

No - and I didn't say anything of the sort. That sentence was purely
meant to be descriptive of places that are both outside PAYG-land
*and* outside his Travelcard's zones. From Martin Petrov's
description, his season Travelcard either covers zones 1-3 or 2&3. And
it seems he doesn't go to these places, at least not by mainline
railways. All I was saying is that whilst you might think he's cutting
himself off by so doing, I'm quite sure his behaviour is hardly
unusual of many Londoners - different Londoners 'bits' of London are
unsurprisingly quite different - it's a big place after all.

I'm sorry I misunderstood you. *I see what you're saying now. *Good
point about the different people's 'bits' of London. *(My bits are
definitely the whole suburban ring, roughly corresponding to Z4-6 and
just a few of the quieter bits of Z2-3.)

Yes. It's certainly fair to say that 'outer London' is ignored -
indeed, sometimes nigh-on written off - by quite a lot of people, in
particular by 'new arrivals'. Which is a shame, and something I always
try and challenge people on. (Just like those who don't venture south,
or west, etc.)

I would however say there are some places that aren't a particular
pull - perfectly nice to live in, but just not an awful lot there -
although there's always something. And there are places that aren't
quite so nice... though sometimes these are the places that can be
quite interesting! (But sometimes it's hard to find the redeeming
features.)

As people live in London for longer then it's more likely they'll go
exploring. Though there's always the folk who just escape altogether,
perhaps to a country house.

Also, Travelcards loaded on Oyster are as valid as Travelcards on
paper

Not the One Day ones, since you can't even get them on Oyster. *

True. One day, daily capping will sort this out.

- and anyone can get a Travelcard on Oyster quite easily, even
if they live somewhere where the local rail line doesn't accept Oyster
PAYG. You can't buy it from the station, sure, but the local shop (aka
"Oyster Ticket Stop") - of which there are a greatly increased number
these days - can provide.

Which is still not much use if you don't want or need a Travelcard
season, just a normal ODTC.

Though FWIW "Oyster Tickets Stops" do sell Day Travelcards.

Although since the OP was only going as far as Ilford, which is -
what? - Zone Four at the most, it's hardly that far a "furthest
reach".

Which isn't what I said - don't put quotation marks around something I
didn't say - I said "further reaches", and it was only meant as a
broad brush, relative description.

Ok, I'm sorry about that.

And having read this I want to turn down the heat on the discussion...
but before reading and replying to the above post I launched into you
lesson to stand back when two posters are at loggerheads, rather than
throw oneself into the fray too.