Old July 3rd 09, 07:37 PM posted to uk.railway,uk.transport.london
D7666 D7666 is offline

Default The beginnings of Thameslink (was: ECML demise)

On Jul 3, 8:23*pm, Stephen Furley wrote:

*It's a pity that an all-lines, including
Chiltern, interchange at West Hampstead never happened.

Indeed.

Taking West Hampstead one step further, and looking at a less
''regional express'' solution than TL2000 / Thameslink Program, maybe
not just a passenger interchange but a Met./TL junction allowing Mets
to Moorgate via TL tracks if DC electrified, and 3rd and 3rd/4th rail
stock is not rocket science. This would have relieved congestion at
Baker Street - there would in effect be 4 tracks all the way from West
Hampstead to Moorgate via KX.

Of course most of that would prevent todays inflated TL plans, but
even as a TL user I do remain of the core view that while TL as a
through route is a must, it is better off as part of the
''underground'' network served only by inner suburban trains. It is
and always will be a slow route. If main line railways want to play
RER style cross London routes then those would be far better with new
construction like Crossrail. Yes I know it costs money, but money is
what it must have,

--
Nick