Old July 4th 09, 08:50 AM posted to uk.railway,uk.transport.london
MIG MIG is offline

Default The beginnings of Thameslink (was: ECML demise)

On 4 July, 09:31, D7666 wrote:
On Jul 4, 9:15*am, MIG wrote:

But weren't there a lot of new build 317s that went straight to Kings
Cross as well? *The ones with the opening windows and smoother cabs

Also correct, but that 2nd batch of 317s was never related to Snow
Hill / TL and again can't be counted as part of that fleet.

I assume they were 317s for no more reason than that was the current
type in production - this is the same reason NSC got extra 6 x 319s as
Cig/Vep accident replacements - they were the only third rail DC
capable type in current production.

That's fair enough. I was just trying to reconcile my chaotic
memory ... which also indicates to me that the 321s were marketed as
something very new and different when they replaced 312s, 309s and a
load of mark 1 suburban stock in East Anglia, but turned out to be
just 317s with a sexier cab end (and variations on GEC/Brush
equipment).