Old July 4th 09, 09:52 AM posted to uk.railway,uk.transport.london
MIG MIG is offline

Default Penalty Fares at mainline stations inside the zones....

On 4 July, 10:13, John B wrote:

However, if I lived in z4-6 non-Tube South London, I'd probably have a
point-to-point rail season ticket. And if I didn't go out in town much
(or at least, didn't venture far from Victoria, Charing Cross and
Cannon Street when I did), then that's quite possibly all I'd have,
especially if I'd lived there since pre-Oyster days and wasn't used to
the whole Oyster concept.

Just following up on this one - as someone who grew up in suburban GE
land and then suburban SW land, I don't think I've ever fully
appreciated the difference that living on the south-central and south-
eastern routes has from all other commuter routes until thinking about
it just now: for most of central London's workplaces, cultural centres
and historical attractions, you don't actually need anything more than
one point-to-point season ticket. And you don't actually ever need to
use the Tube, which is something that I've tended to view as a
unifying force between suburban commuters and inner-London dwellers...

Actually, as I think Mizter T has just mentioned elsewhere, the point
to point season has a new life under Oyster. In the past I toyed with
the idea, even when not usually using the Underground on the commute,
but it was never quite worth it when I considered the occasional
journeys plus need for day travelcards at weekends, partly duplicating
the season etc.

It still isn't very helpful when, for example, needing to go to
Twickenham with a point to point from the south east. A travelcard
might have covered it, and Oyster doesn't help yet, so one is left
needing a return from Waterloo.

If you lived in the same zone on the other side, eg Bexleyheath, a 7
day travelcard would be £44 with total flexibility. A point to point
to London Terminals would be £31.80.

But add to that a return journey Waterloo to Twickenham on Saturday at
£5.30 plus a couple of £1 bus journeys on Sunday plus a few £1.50s
when you need to go to a meeting in a different office on Wednesday
and go to a bar across central London after work on Friday ... and
before long the £31.80 has become £45.10 and the flexibility of a
travelcard that covers all of it at £44 becomes very attractive.