Old December 22nd 03, 05:11 PM posted to uk.transport.london
Richard J. Richard J. is offline

Default Claiming a refund after Camden Town derailment

Steve Dulieu wrote:
"Barry Salter" wrote in message
On Mon, 22 Dec 2003 01:05:58 +0000, Steve Fitzgerald
] wrote:

Don't forget, on the Picc, we have to make all the announcements
ourselves, not like the other lines that have all this auto stuff
:-)

Not strictly true. I've heard automated announcements on Piccadilly
Line trains before, such as the Victoria Line/National Rail
interchange at Finsbury Park and the Met/Circle/H&C/Norther/Vic and
Nat Rail at Kings Cross. And, of course, "Stand Clear of the Doors
Please".

You are of course correct Barry, that you have heard something that
sounds like an automated PA. (It's a recording of a genuine Arnos
Grove T/Op BTW) The problem is, that on the Picc. (due to the ever
popular "LUL massive cock-up"(TM)) in order to get the "automated"
announcement that he or she requires the driver to key in a 3 digit
code & hit enter on a piece of kit in the cab (refered to as "The
Toblerone" for those that are interested). The anouncement then plays
about 5 seconds later. Most drivers find it easier to just use the
standard PA than dick about with crap like that. (I know I did:-)) So
to all intents and purposes, "Automated PA" is not something we use
on the Picc.

On the contrary, I quite often hear those announcements on the Picc, but
they seem to blank out the scrolling displays afterwards. They are however
a lot clearer than most drivers (present company excepted of course).
--
Richard J.