Old July 5th 09, 02:19 PM posted to uk.railway,uk.transport.london
Neil Williams Neil Williams is offline

Default Southern ITSO PAYG

On Sat, 4 Jul 2009 23:32:05 -0700 (PDT), ticketyboo
wrote:

Singapore is a small, tightly managed state. The way they do things
largely doesn't translate to here, in particular touch out.

I'm not sure that is true. Making sure people touch out can be
enforced by charging a maximum fare on boarding and refunding back on
alighting, so there is a pecuniary disadvantage to not touching out

There is, as Paul states, the potential issue of people touching out
and not alighting, but that applies equally to a paper ticket system
where you can buy the cheapest ticket and ride further, and can't be
that much of a problem or bus companies would use more inspectors to
catch people out doing it or move en-masse to flat fare, both of which
Stagecoach and First appear to show no interest in.

Neil

--
Neil Williams