Old July 6th 09, 12:08 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling,uk.transport.london
Tom Anderson Tom Anderson is offline

Default Cycle route from Finsbury Park to North Finchley

On Thu, 2 Jul 2009, Jeremy Parker wrote:

"Tom Anderson" wrote in message
rth.li...

I live in Finsbury Park, and am currently working in North
Finchley. I've been getting there by public transport so far, but
now that the weather is going a bit less jungle-like, i would like
to start cycling.

Any thoughts on a route?

Parkland Walk, from Finsbury Park to near Highgate tube station, is
nice: scenic, off road, with gradient designed so that trains can get
up it.

I've used this many times before for leisure purposes, and had a crack at
it last week with a view to commuting. The surface and wiggliness limit
speed so much that it just does not hold up as a sensible route for
getting places, at least not without more suspension than i've got. It is
very scenic, though!

From there I would just go along the A1/A1000. It's direct, and graded
for horse drawn traffic. If you don't have roundabout skills yet, it
might be advisable to briefly turn into a pedestrian where the A1
(Aylmer Road) takes off from the A1000. That's northbound. Southbound
is ok

Yes, i've only done it southbound so far, and it was fine. I might try the
Archway/Highgate route northbound tomorrow, which will bring me through it
the other way.

For route finding get the free Transport for London bike map - phone the
bus map number 020-7222-1234, or use TfL's web site to order it
www.tfl.gov.uk or pick it up from such places as bike shops, libraries
etc. Map 3 is the map you want. That's generally excellent, with my
only complaint being that it only shows one way streets if the street is
one of their recommended streets [A sign, I feel, that TfL is trying to
divide streets up into a few "bike routes" and a large number of "not
bike routes"]

The A1000 has traffic on it of course (both motorised and non
motorised), but it doesn't take long to get used to people overtaking
you. A continuous stream is less stressful than the occasional
unexpected noise breaking a silence

Get yourself a copy of John Franklin's "Cyclecraft" It's the bible on
riding in among other traffic

I'm guessing from the above that i gave the impression i was new to
cycling. I've only just started riding to Finchley, but i've been
commuting to other parts of London by bike for about five years!

tom

--
Oh, and sometimes in order to survive you have to drink the irradiated
water from an old toilet. -- Jon, on Fallout