Old July 6th 09, 02:35 PM posted to uk.transport.london
J. Chisholm J. Chisholm is offline

Default Cycle route from Finsbury Park to North Finchley

wrote:
In article ,
(J.
Chisholm) wrote:

Paul Luton wrote:
Tom Anderson wrote:
Hello Londonistanis,

I live in Finsbury Park, and am currently working in North Finchley.
I've been getting there by public transport so far, but now that the
weather is going a bit less jungle-like, i would like to start
cycling.

Any thoughts on a route?
For travel in London I find that the TFL Journey Planner with
mode set to bike gives a route worth trying.

http://journeyplanner.tfl.gov.uk/use...T2?language=en
The journey times are less silly than you might expect given all
the variables.

Or you could try:
http://london.cyclestreets.net/

This gives you the options of finding a 'quiet' route or the
fastest and lets you chosse a cruising speed.

I have to say that london.cyclestreets.net is very disappointing, Jim.
It's limited in terms of features compared to the TfL journey planner. To
send me through the Wandsworth one-way system when there is a perfect
cycle route avoiding it is pretty unpardonable. No ability to have via
points makes it pretty limited too.

I accept, that it is only as good as the 'Open Street' data, and that to
get it to show the good short cuts, it needs local cyclists to add the data.
If you really want to force the trip 'via' a location why not plan iyt
as two trips?

I'm not sure how 'Walkit.com' got lots of the cut-throughs in London,
but it beat me plotting a walking route using an A-Z

Jim