Old December 22nd 03, 07:05 PM posted to uk.transport,uk.rec.driving,uk.transport.london
Cast_Iron Cast_Iron is offline

Default reducing congestion

JNugent wrote:
wrote:

"JNugent" wrote:

... agricultural workers.

The people who grow the food that you and the rest of us
eat and
who would have difficulty doing that job in the middle
of a large conurbation, for example.

There was a lot to be said for the concept of the tied
cottage, of course (a bit like armed forces' married
quarters, or even like nos. 10 & 11 Downing Street).

But the chatterati were dead against tied cottages...

It was Maggie and co that forced an end to tied housing.

Sheer, biased, blinkered, knee-jerk, nonsense.

The tied cottage was being "phased out" (pilloried as a
social anachronism) decades before 1979.

S'funny, that.

Had the tied cottages remained in their original use,
there'd be less need for hand-wringing over the housing
fate of agricultural workers, wouldn't there?

I didn't say it wasn't on the way out, I merely made the point that Thatcher
forced it to end. A subtle but distinct difference that is obviously lost on
you.