Old July 11th 09, 03:03 AM posted to uk.railway,uk.transport.london
Steve M Steve M is offline

Default Southern Advance Tickets - 90% off!! (available 10/07/09 only)

Mizter T wrote:
[x-posted to uk.transport.london, for the attention of Londoners
interested in a cheapo escape for the day!]

On Jul 10, 4:17 pm, Paul Harley wrote:
This might be of use/interest to some people:

"On Friday 10 July, Green Britain Day, Southern will be offering a
wide range of Southern Advance single tickets at a staggering 90%
discount, compared to the normal 40% currently available when tickets
are booked online in advance of travel. This means that some tickets
to London can be bought for as little as 50p! Tickets can be bought
on-line on the day only for travel up to three months ahead."

http://www.southernrailway.com/main.php?page_id=707

If anyone is planning a journey on Southern in the next few months,
you could get some *really* cheap travel!

Wow! Thanks for the heads up. (Missing out on stuff like this is what
happens when you have a filter set up to file all those promotional
emails into a folder that's out of sight!)

I'm guessing that Southern want to promote...
(a) their new booking system - which is the much accliamed (on here)
WebTIS booking engine which has been used for the past nearly two
years by GNER then NXEC, and
(b) their relatively newish range of Advance tickets.

FWIW, I've just taken a speculative punt and bought a load of tickets
for a weekend day trip from London down to Brighton, all at just 75p
each so £1.50 for a round trip! I'm sure I'll be able to muster up
interest from one quarter or another in a little jaunt to the seaside!

I fly from Gatwick quite often and was prepared to buy a big bunch of
London - Brighton tickets (50p each) cutting my journey short at
Gatwick. But no need... Southern are actually selling Advance tickets
London to Gatwick! Why why why why why can't the same sort of thing
happen on the Stansted line (even on the Stratford stopper)? Prices on
that route keep going up and up while Gatwick, arguably the more
important airport, remains quite reasonable.

Cheers

Steve M