Old July 11th 09, 02:22 PM posted to uk.transport.london
[email protected] Mait001@aol.com is offline

Default Another Oyster problem

On Jul 11, 2:43�pm, Mizter T wrote:
On Jul 11, 2:19�pm, " wrote:

On Jul 11, 2:01 pm, Mizter T wrote:

On Jul 11, 1:39 pm, " wrote:

[snip]

I've just realised the implication of what the previous reply means: I
can effectively travel around the WHOLE Underground system all day for
8, and no need to restrict myself to Zones 1 and 2.

Actually, that's quite a bargain!

Erm, as soon as you're first journey 'times out', then I think
essentially you'd be travelling without a properly validated Oyster
card, and thus possibly subject to a Penalty Fare should your ticket
(i.e. Oyster card) be checked. I haven't however scrutinised the
chapter and verse of the Oyster card T&Cs and the TfL Conditions of
Carriage. I dunno. They might however just think you're a bit mad!

Where, on entry to the system, am I told that I will be subject to a
penalty if I don't exit the system within a period of time? Supposing
I fell asleep on a station or train? I am content to accept that I
would have to pay the 4 on entry and 4 on exit - I understand why
that is. But on what basis could it properly be said that I have
somehow not "validated" my Oyster card by simply remaining within the
system?

What would I be supposed to do? Exit at a station and re-enter every
couple of hours?

I don't care if they think I'm mad! I've already been thrown off a
train at Birmingham for taking a photograph of a train! That is the
subject of current legal action against Network Rail. But I'm damned
if by simply travelling around on the Underground, having validly
touched in on entry, I will somehow be penalised for failing to do
something they have not told me I should be doing!

Sorry, chill, I was merely speculating, nothing more than that!

On reflection I do very much doubt you'd be given a penalty fare for
simply having been within the system for ages - the handheld Oyster
card scanners can tell when (and where - though possibly only the more
complicated ones) the card was last validated. I'm just thinking that
an RPI would probably take an interest if you were on a westbound
(central London-bound) District line train at say Mile End, having
validated your card several hours beforehand in say Amersham.

But ultimately I don't think they're that interested in persecuting
people who are 'bashing' the network (which is something of an 'edge
case' in the big scheme of things), I think they're more interested in
going after people who are somehow 'working the system'. Whether
bashing the network by staying within the system all day qualifies as
'working the system' I dunno!

I can't really comment any further, apart from saying that I don't
work for TfL nor do I have any involvement in the Oyster system. All I
would say is that the recommendation I'd give to anyone who simply
wanted to ride great chunks of the network without leaving it would be
for them to get a Day Travelcard, which means one sidesteps any such
Oyster issues.- Hide quoted text -

Yes, I'm only taking things to their ultimate, ludicrous, conclusion,
because that's what lawyers do!

But, I should have mentioned (as I think I have before, on another
thread) that my local newsagent professes not to sell One Day
Travelcards, and will only top-up Oysters! So, to get a paper ticket,
I'd have to spend 1 Pound my Oyster to get to the nearest station, so
my loss would actually be �1.50 overall.

As for the Oyster telephone refund: I spent almost 30 minutes in the
telephone queue, then almost another 30 whilst the Oyster chap tried
to work out how I could get a refund by some method other than
touching in at a station (something I can rarely predict in advance
because of the nature of my journeys - in fact I hardly ever use the
Underground at all) and then getting my bank account details wrong
etc, so having to start all over again.....

Marc.