Old July 11th 09, 05:04 PM posted to uk.transport.london
Roy Badami Roy Badami is offline

Default Another Oyster problem

Mr Thant wrote:
TfL call it the "maximum cash fare", and the principle is that there's
a discount from this for using the system correctly (touching in and
out in the specified time, etc). Since the price of a single ticket is
indeed £4, I can't imagine a challenge would be too successful.

But if they unilaterally decide to treat two separate journeys as one,
even though you've used the system correctly, just so they can then
penalise you for taking too long on this one journey that they've
decided to deem that you made, I think the situation changes.

Imagine for a moment that the system wasn't automated, but clerks in
each station levied fares according to the current Oyster pricing - then
you'd agree that TfL were acting fraudulently if they deliberately
behaved thus, yes?

Now, the fact that the software behaves that doesn't mean the software
is committing fraud - that would be nonsensical. But if TfL are aware
that their software is behaving in this manner, and do nothing, are you
saying that TfL can carry on with impunity.

I confess, in my naivite, I've never actually checked the journey logs
on my Oyster card - I'd just assumed that they wouldn't - couldn't
legally - go around overcharging people.

-roy