Old December 22nd 03, 07:34 PM posted to uk.transport,uk.rec.driving,uk.transport.london
Cast_Iron Cast_Iron is offline

Default reducing congestion

"Cast_Iron" wrote in message

I buy a second house. I won't be spending much time there,

Then why bother, why not simply stay in holiday accommodation and contribute
to the local economy? Plus it may well work out cheaper.

so, as I won't have time to do the decorating myself, that,
along with a few repairs, have to be done by a local
builder.

If only everyone did that, but there are many who will use a tradesman from
their own area, "because they know him". No gain to the local economy.

I'm not moving an existing house, so all the
furniture, tv, hi-fi, video etc, have to be bought locally.

On the contrary, they can be bought anywhere. Where do you suppose a
permanent local resident buys their furniture etc? Some holiday home owners
when setting up simply move their existing furniture from their permanent
home to the holiday cottage and renew from suppliers in their area. No gain
to the local economy.

How many years' food shopping will a permanent resident
have to do to put the same amount of money into the local
economy?

Many holiday home owners simply take food from their permanent home's
nearest supermarket. No gain to the local economy.

Then, of course, there are the ongoing costs. I
will need both a gardener and someone to clean the house,
if I want to prevent things getting out of hand while I am
away. That is without even spending any time at the house.

That's your way of doing things, not everyone is quite so houseproud or they
will send someone they know.

But the net result is that buying a holiday home is depriving someone else
of a permanent home.