Old July 13th 09, 06:47 AM posted to uk.transport.london,uk.railway,misc.transport.urban-transit
Martin Edwards Martin Edwards is offline

Default HS1 Domestic trains are a bit busy

Mizter T wrote:
On Jul 12, 11:51 am, "Recliner" wrote:

"Willms" wrote:

Am Thu, 9 Jul 2009 23:57:05 UTC, schrieb Tony Polson
auf uk.railway :
You have made some very good points regarding the (un)acceptability
of using colossal sums of taxpayers' money - vastly greater sums
than the already huge amounts spent on rail - to subsidise
professional people's long distance daily commute.
You think that only unprofessional people should commute to work?

In the UK, "professional" implies reasonably or very well-off people,
such as lawyers and accountants.

Which is pretty stupid usage, as my plumber is genuinely a
professional (unlike many!). It's perhaps something of a foil for
talking about class, which we're still to obsessed by.

In teaching it used to be a scam to fool non-graduates, but it is still
in use, for some reason.