Old July 13th 09, 06:02 PM posted to misc.transport.urban-transit,uk.transport.london,uk.railway
Roland Perry Roland Perry is offline

Default HS1 Domestic trains are a bit busy

In message , at 18:05:57 on
Mon, 13 Jul 2009, Recliner remarked:
The German word is "Freie Berufe", the adjetive or adverb
"freiberuflich". This is of relevance for VAT -- those who are working
"freiberuflich" don't pay VAT. In some professions, one can chose if
one works "freiberuflich" or as commercially as a business. In the
latter case, one has to pay VAT, or rather, charge VAT to one's
customers.

In Britain, you don't get the choice if "taxable supplies" (revenue)
exceed £67k.

I wonder if an MP has to take account of the monies paid to him to run
his office, as a "taxable supply", or whether they are entirely exempt
from the VAT system.

For the avoidance of doubt, I'll assume all the "expenses" are valid
ones.

Looking down the list and picking the first person as my random example:
Ms Diane Abbott claimed around £131k, *none* of which was for a second
home. http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/uk_politics/8044207.stm