Old July 14th 09, 08:34 AM posted to uk.transport.london
Jim Brittin Jim Brittin is offline

Default 7 coats of arms on Hammersmith Bridge

In article 9710ba9e-37e8-4daa-8112-a2273b3d1a74
@g23g2000vbr.googlegroups.com, says...

On Jul 14, 1:31*am, "Basil Jet"
wrote:

http://maps.google.co.uk/maps?ie=UTF...33524&spn=0,35...

9 o'clock is clearly the City of London, and I think the bullseye is the
United Kingdom, but what are the others?
7 o'clock looks a little bit like Essex, but why would the arms of Essex be
on Hammersmith Bridge?
3 o'clock might be Richmond, but why Richmond, when the south bank was in
the borough of Barnes when the bridge was built?

It seems to include some of the counties which border the Thames - at
least, you've already said there's Essex as 7 o'clock, and 11 o'clock
is Kent (Invicta - the 'orse). The centre is indeed the Royal Coat of
Arms of the UK. I was going to suggest that 3 o'clock might be
Parliament - but actually it does look like Richmond. Note that Barnes
Urban District (later to become the Municipal Borough thereof) was
formed in 1894, after the bridge was opened in 1887, so the south side
may in fact have been part of Richmond 'something' (parish, perhaps?).

Any particular reason why the bridge became an IRA 'favourite'?

3 o'clock looks like Westminster