Old December 22nd 03, 10:31 PM posted to uk.transport,uk.rec.driving,uk.transport.london
Robin May Robin May is offline

Default reducing congestion

"JNugent" wrote the following
in:

wrote:

Greg Hennessy wrote:

[ ... ]

If you were to believe the CPRE, the SE is currently like
downtown Hong Hong during the rush hour, when the reality
is that approximately 15% of the land within 1 hours
commute of charring cross is built on.

A one hour commute by your favoured mode is only about ten miles
at most. Are you suggesting that there are open fields within
that area?

A one hour journey by car can take one (easily) up to 60 miles
(probably not a lot more, unless one lives adjacent to a motorway
interchange).

You'll have to travel a fair distance from Charing Cross before you can
do anything more than 30mph and even that is pretty ambitious as an
average speed, especially considering the fact that you'll face
congestion and a lot of traffic lights. I'd be absolutely amazed if you
could travel as much as 60 miles. Even half that seems optimistic.

So what are you talking about?

More to the point, what are you talking about?

--
message by Robin May, but you can call me Mr Smith.
Enjoy the Routemaster while you still can.

"Handlebar catch and nipple."