Old July 15th 09, 08:39 PM posted to uk.transport.london
MIG MIG is offline

Default Tube to Battersea

On 15 July, 20:52, Mizter T wrote:
On Jul 15, 12:26*pm, John B wrote:

An acquaintance has just been briefed on progress on the Battersea
Power Stations Northern Line extension:http://bit.ly/riSsr

Semi-off-the-record-ly, he's been told that the feasibility studies
are done, that TfL, LU, the GLA, LB Wandsworth and LB Lambeth are all
in favour of the project, that (entirely private) finance is almost
complete, that a provisional route from Kennington to Battersea via
Nine Elms has been earmarked, and that RFPs for project managers,
engineers and lead contractors will go out shortly.

Meanwhile LU will look at funding options to extend the work to
Clapham Junction at public expense.

Cripes. I can hardly believe it. I honestly thought it was all total
pie-in-the-sky stuff.

*If* this can honestly, really be done on a by privately funded basis,
then fair enough - all power to their elbow. *But* if it ends up
costing wads of public dosh, then I'd place extending the Bakerloo
line to Camberwell (and beyond) as a far higher priority.

Absobloominlutely. That extension has been waiting nearly a hundred
years, with more need than ever, and doesn't duplicate anything apart
from some hopelessly overcrowded and barely usable bus routes.

The Clapham and Battersea situation could be improved by sensibly-
sited interchanges on existing routes, but it can't be a priority for
building more lines pretty much parallel to existing lines.