Old July 15th 09, 10:40 PM posted to uk.transport.london
Mizter T Mizter T is offline

Default Tube to Battersea

On Jul 15, 10:12*pm, "David A Stocks" wrote:

"Mizter T" wrote:

On Jul 15, 3:11 pm, "David A Stocks" wrote:

"tim....." wrote:

"Graham Harrison" wrote:
My first reaction was "Seems a pity not to connect either
proposed station with any other rail/underground station even
if it's only Battersea Park." but thinking about it what sort
of travel opportunities would that open? Not many I suspect.
Going on to Clapham Junction might be worthwhile but even
then I'm not wholly convinced.

It helps everyone who arrives on the Victoria "side" who wants to go to
the city.

Almost anyone arriving on the Victoria side who wants to go to the city
is on the wrong train in the first place. They should go to London
Bridge instead.

Easier said than done in some circumstances though - look at the south
eastern lines that only serve Victoria. A recent example was Maidstone
- peak trains only go to Victoria from this Kentish town, though there
are off-peak trains to London Bridge (but the capacity at London
Bridge presumably isn't there for a peak time service).

Yes, I can see that some of the South Eastern commuters are stuffed as far
as direct services to the City are concerned. HOWEVER, Tim was talking about
people arriving on the Southern platforms at *Clapham Junction* (he called
it the Victoria "side"). South Eastern don't serve CLJ at all. I think all
the stations between East Croydon and Clapham Junction get some kind of
direct service to London Bridge, although one may well be better off
changing to the Northern line at Balham. An extended Charing X branch
Northern Line service to Clapham Junction is of very little use to SN pax
wanting access to the City.

Yes, I'd realised my mistake shortly after posting and was hoping to
get a correction in before you came back to me on it, but alas I was
out of the door perambulating on the street some distance from my
keyboard when the realisation struck!

As you rightly point out, what happens on the south eastern lines into
London Bridge is totally and utterly irrelevant in relation to any
considerations about the Northern line reaching Clapham Junction.

Interchange with the Charing Cross branch of the Northern line at
Clapham Junction might be of some use to some south central (i.e.
Southern) pax wanting to get to the West End. Maybe. Bit of a round
the houses route though.