Old July 18th 09, 06:21 AM posted to uk.transport.london,uk.railway,misc.transport.urban-transit
Martin Edwards Martin Edwards is offline

Default HS1 Domestic trains are a bit busy

Basil Jet wrote:
Tim Fenton wrote:
"Paul Terry" wrote in message
The only feature of London minicabs which is designed specifically
to serve
the interest of the public rather than the interest of the minicab
drivers/bosses is the fact that the drivers are verified to have
been convicted of no rapes since coming to this country.
There's more to it than that. Vehicles have to be MOT'd every six
months rather than every year, drivers have to have a medical
certificate supplied by their GP and they have to prove that they
have the appropriate and current insurance for public hire.

Okay, but all of these things are to prevent the minicab driver from ending
or ruining the life of the customer, not to ensure that he actually provides
a service to the customer or the city. For instance a minicab office which
tells a tourist that such and such is miles away when it's really around the
corner, and then charges the tourist a fortune for a circuitous ride, would
be in no danger of losing its "PCO approved" status.

And they have to have The Knowledge ...

Minicabs are not required to have The Knowledge, or a satnav or even a map.

A kind taxi driver in London, where I am not resident, once told me the
way to the street I needed, which was in walking distance. I doubt
whether the response from a minicab driver would have been the same.