Old July 19th 09, 03:29 PM posted to uk.transport.london,uk.railway,misc.transport.urban-transit
Mizter T Mizter T is offline

Default HS1 Domestic trains are a bit busy

On Jul 19, 2:36*pm, Roland Perry wrote:

In message
, at
06:08:51 on Sun, 19 Jul 2009, Mizter T remarked:

But try convincing many Londoners that the area code is 020, not 020x :-)

I notice it, but it's not really something that bothers me. Some
people seem like they're going to implode with fury when they see or
hear the code being incorrectly used - so perhaps the whole serves a
useful purpose in identifying those who can't keep things in
proportion!

It's a bit like calling the driving car on a Pendolino a "locomotive",
or a light engine a "train". Different inaccuracies annoy different
people.

I must admit that neither of those inaccuracies really bother me
either!

As I said, I do write and speak the codes properly myself, which can
throw people somewhat. But I also use 8-digit numbers from my
landline, so it all makes sense to me! (Less so I suppose to those who
only use mobiles.)