Old July 20th 09, 12:55 PM posted to uk.transport.london,uk.railway,misc.transport.urban-transit
Peter Campbell Smith[_3_] Peter Campbell Smith[_3_] is offline

Default HS1 Domestic trains are a bit busy

Martin Edwards wrote in news:kgz8m.17902$m%4.11960
@newsfe25.ams2:

Another favourite is Kingston, Surrey. Oh no it isn't.

As a relative newcomer to London (a mere 30 years ago) I'm still bemused by
the fact that people in Kingston, Sutton, Croydon et al do not regard
themselves as being in London and often do not even know that they are.
I'd be reasonably sure that if you stopped 100 people in the streets of
those boroughs and asked which county they were in, 90+ would say 'Surrey',
and probably 50+ wouldn't believe you if you told them they were in London.

It seems to me that you have to get quite close to central London, at least
south of the river, before the locals regard themselves as living 'in
London'.

Peter

PS. The confusion of Kingston-dwellers is no doubt compounded by the very
visible headquarters of Surrey County Council, listed on their website as:

County Hall
Penrhyn Road
Kingston upon Thames
Surrey KT1 2DN

--
Peter Campbell Smith ~ London ~ pjcs00 (a) gmail.com