Old July 22nd 09, 02:40 PM posted to uk.transport.london
Roland Perry Roland Perry is offline

Default HS1 Domestic trains are a bit busy

In message , at 14:36:53 on Wed, 22
Jul 2009, Basil Jet remarked:
I've been to one town in the USA where the state boundary
(between Georgia and Tennessee iirc) went through the middle (either
along the fairly small river it straddled, or possibly relocated a
quarter of a mile north on the Main Street). Now that's what I call a
legislative nightmare!

It's a common enough situation - the boundary between Gary Indiana and
Chicago Illinois is another one.

Although that doesn't actually split anything resembling a town. Gary,
IN is the closest, but all of it's actually east of the border.

The example I had in mind was more like (assuming Cambs didn't exist at
all) Cambridge being in Bedfordshire n/w of the river, and Suffolk s/e
of the river.

Of course, we have it a little like that in Nottingham with the
east-west Trent being the boundary (mostly, anyway) between the unitary
City and our equivalent of South Cambs inside Notts.