Old July 24th 09, 05:20 AM posted to uk.railway,misc.transport.urban-transit,uk.transport.london
ticketyboo ticketyboo is offline

Default Victoria Underground works approved

On Jul 23, 8:25*pm, Paul Corfield wrote:

Given where we got to in 2008 with tube demand levels and growth rates
the scheme would most probably have been justified if those sorts of
numbers had been used in the original project evaluation. However that
sort of comment throws us back to the 60s when the Vic Line was
subjected to all sorts of cuts at the design / construction stage to
save money. *Again no one could envisage the line would be carrying
three times its predicted ridership within 40 years and hence we are
saddled with people stuck in queues to get off platforms, up escalators
or even into stations (as at Victoria in the morning rush).

And, in my experience in the evening peak, getting out in the
direction of the rail station is sometimes seriously obstructed by
people trying to get down the stairs - nobody marshalling the queue at
surface level, where it extends back into the rail station. If I have
the time, I prefer to use my bus pass to get back to Victoria.