Old July 28th 09, 04:01 PM posted to uk.transport.london,uk.rec.cycling
Just zis Guy, you know? Just zis Guy, you know? is offline

Default These writhing whales of the road have swung their hefty rear

On Jul 28, 4:44*pm, wrote:
So you can't see why an 18m long vehicle doing this in front of you is
more of a problem than a 9m long vehicle? *Really? *In this case the
bus pulled onto the roundabout and immediately had to stop for a
traffic light, blocking my route to the exit. *A standard length bus
would simply not have been a problem.

But you can see how long the bus is, why don't you take account of that?
Much as though you would probably prefer otherwise, in a head to head with
a bus a cyclist isn't going to win so why not just accept that fact and
stop complaining when buses get in your way. You can scoot around most
obstacles, buses can't.

I don't have much option when the bus overtakes me or pulls out in
front of me, which is the major source of the problem. I also don't
have any control over whether the driver chooses to pull away when I
am part way past, although I never start to pass a bus that is
indicating.

If you want to use a slower and more expensive mode (and take part in
the great virus incubation experiment while you do so) then that is
your choice :-)

OTOH theres little chance of me being run over.

Obviously we use different roads - the people crossing the road at
Cannon Street seem to be courting just that )

characteristics - the tail of a bendy bus moves in *much* faster than
the trailer of an artic. *Bendy buses are far and away the longest

So what? When you encounter a long vehicle for the first time I can understand
your concern , but since you deal with them every day whats the problem?
If you can't handle the vehicles on the road don't go on it.

So you'd be happy with introducing, say, roadtrains into the UK since
people would soon get used to them? It doesn't work that way. There
are specific characteristics of bendy buses which cause specific
problems in specific circumstances, and the buses appear to have been
introduced without thought to these problems, which is one reason
there is pressure to remove them from the centre of London. Another
reason is foolish nostalgia, of course, but that does not nullify the
tangible problems they cause.

I think there are credible reasons for removing them from some
routes. *I am not the only one to think this. *Which indicates to me

Some routes yes, where they simply don't fit. But not to get rid of them
altogether.

I think that's what I said.
--
Guy