Old July 28th 09, 04:03 PM posted to uk.transport.london

Default These writhing whales of the road have swung their hefty rear

In article
,
(Just zis Guy, you know?) wrote:

On Jul 28, 12:48*pm, wrote:
On Tue, 28 Jul 2009 04:08:42 -0700 (PDT)
"Just zis Guy, you know?" wrote:

I have never seen a bendy bus on Victoria Embankment. *I have seen
one around London Wall. *I do not ride along Oxford Street at all,
it is impassable. *I did see a bendy bus today as I was riding round
Hyde Park Corner - hard to avoid seeing it in fact as it pulled onto
the roundabout straight into my path. *And with 18m of bus that left
no option at all but to stop in the middle of a busy roundabout.

So let me get this straight - you didn't see an 18m bus coming until
it was almost on top of you and then (surprise!) it went to pass you?

Wrong. I was cycling round the roundabout, the bus driver entered the
roundabout in conflict with traffic already on the roundabout, he was
in the wrong not me.

I'm sure they are fine in their place, but central London is not it.

Perhaps its not your place either as it appears you have tunnel
vision.

See above: your base premise is in error. Do you cycle much in
central London? I'm not the only cyclist to find bendy buses to be
disproportionately problematic.

As a regular cyclist in London who also avoids bendybuses as much as I can
I have to say I wouldn't cycle round Hyde Park Corner unless I absolutely
had to. Multi-lane road layouts like that don't need bendybuses to make
them lethal for cyclists.

--
Colin Rosenstiel