Old July 28th 09, 09:59 PM posted to uk.transport.london,misc.transport.urban-transit,uk.railway
Christopher A. Lee Christopher A. Lee is offline

Default First passenger service journey for LUL 09 stock

On Tue, 28 Jul 2009 07:13:29 -0700 (PDT), Andy
wrote:

On 28 July, 15:06, Clive wrote:
In message , Tony Dragon
writesGod, your making me feel my age, I can remember the 'Q' stock on the
District,

So can I. * I can also remember tube stock where the first half of the
driving car was taken up with equipment which went under floor in 38
stock, but I can't remember what they were called.

Usually called Standard Stock, although they were anything but
standard, being build from 1923 - 1934 with many detail differences!!
Sometimes referred also referred to as 1923 Stock.

Control, brakes etc were standard. They operated as a single fleet, so
you could get a 1923 power car at one end and a 1934 at the other,
with all sorts of stuff in between.

It was the same kind of "standard" you saw on the District Line that
allowed several varieties of earlier clerestory roofed vehicles to run
in the same trains as the later Q stock - which was visually identical
to the O/P/COP Circle and Uxbridge line stock but had the same control
system.

Obvious differences between batches of standard tube stock included
central door pillars on the earliest, grilles vs panels on the side of
the switchgear compartments, etc.

Another confusion is that some standard stock trailers were converted
to use in 1938 stock trains.