Old July 29th 09, 12:21 PM posted to uk.transport.london
Bruce[_2_] Bruce[_2_] is offline

Default These writhing whales of the road have swung their hefty rear ends round our corners for the final time.

On Wed, 29 Jul 2009 12:35:20 +0100, "Just zis Guy, you know?"
wrote:
On Wed, 29 Jul 2009 12:30:07 +0100, Bruce
wrote:

The articulation and other characteristics result in the tail moving
in much more sharply than is the case for, say, articulated lorries.

Rubbish. The steering is arranged to reduce cut in. In other words,
to make it cut in far less sharply than an articulated lorry.

That's not how it looks to cyclists overtaken by them.

Well, that's how it is. If it looks different to you, you must have a
problem with perception.

At the very least, you should re-educate yourself as to how bendy
buses work, in particular how they negotiate bends in the road,
because your faulty perception may be putting you at greater risk.

I don't ride a bicycle any more, but I do ride a motorbike, and as
with any two wheeled vehicle, defensive riding is the order of the
day. A fundamental part of defensive riding is developing a keen
awareness of the very different dynamics of the other vehicles you
share the road with. Your life depends on it.

A bendy bus is a very different animal to a non-articulated bus and it
is also very different to an articulated lorry. Overall, it is
better to be around than either of those.

That's because there are fewer bendy buses than there would be
conventional buses on the same route, so fewer hazards - but different
hazards, which do require some learning. Bendy buses also cut in far
less than articulated lorries, so much less of a hazard when it comes
to getting trapped.

It's too easy to moan and whine about bendy buses. It takes a little
effort to learn how best to deal with them, as with anything new. But
the statistics are pretty clear - bendy buses are not only extremely
effective at moving large numbers of passengers, but they are also
very safe.