Old July 29th 09, 01:54 PM posted to uk.transport.london,uk.rec.cycling
Tom Anderson Tom Anderson is offline

Default These writhing whales of the road have swung their hefty rear

On Wed, 29 Jul 2009, Just zis Guy, you know? wrote:

On Tue, 28 Jul 2009 17:00:56 +0100, Tom Anderson
wrote:

You bloody what? When you say 'Continental', is the continent in question
North America, or have you just lost your marbles? Or, perhaps, never been
to a European city?

No, you're right, I've never been to a European city. Apart from
Brussels. And Amsterdam. And Antwerp, Duffel, Mechelen, den Bosch,
Charleroi, Leuven, K?ln, Dusseldorf, Paris, Copenhagen, Stockholm,
Madrid, Milan and a few others I can't remember off the top of my
head.

Okay, you've definitely been to European cities, and from your answer, i
assume you weren't talking about North America. So you've flat-out lost
your marbles, then.

I'm sure there are mediaeval towns in Europe with narrow, winding
streets. I don't know how many of these use bendy buses. I do know
that the squabble over property rights after the fire more or less put
the kibosh on widening the road in London more than a modest amount, and
this is acknowledged by Buchanan as a problem in London particularly.

London has some wide, straight streets, and some little wiggly streets.
Exactly the same is true of most European cities. Saying bendies are
appropriate for European cities but not London on account of differences
in their streets is simply incorrect.

tom

--
Once, at a fair on the Heath, [Geoffrey Fletcher] overheard a man saying
that Hampstead wasn't thrilling enough. Fletcher reached over in the