Old July 29th 09, 04:33 PM posted to uk.transport.london,uk.rec.cycling
Ian[_2_] Ian[_2_] is offline

Default These writhing whales of the road have swung their hefty rear

"Tom Anderson" wrote in message
rth.li...
On Wed, 29 Jul 2009, Just zis Guy, you know? wrote:

On Tue, 28 Jul 2009 17:00:56 +0100, Tom Anderson
wrote:

You bloody what? When you say 'Continental', is the continent in
question
North America, or have you just lost your marbles? Or, perhaps, never
been
to a European city?

No, you're right, I've never been to a European city. Apart from
Brussels. And Amsterdam. And Antwerp, Duffel, Mechelen, den Bosch,
Charleroi, Leuven, K?ln, Dusseldorf, Paris, Copenhagen, Stockholm,
Madrid, Milan and a few others I can't remember off the top of my
head.

Okay, you've definitely been to European cities, and from your answer, i
assume you weren't talking about North America. So you've flat-out lost
your marbles, then.

I'm sure there are mediaeval towns in Europe with narrow, winding
streets. I don't know how many of these use bendy buses. I do know that
the squabble over property rights after the fire more or less put the
kibosh on widening the road in London more than a modest amount, and this
is acknowledged by Buchanan as a problem in London particularly.

London has some wide, straight streets, and some little wiggly streets.
Exactly the same is true of most European cities. Saying bendies are
appropriate for European cities but not London on account of differences
in their streets is simply incorrect.

Bendys are quite good at wiggly streets - better than a 40' rigid.

See http://www.henden.co.uk/bendyhosp.gif

For those who know Southampton, this is the road that goes around the rear
of the South Hants Hospital.

A 40' rigid - come to think of it, anything bigger than 30' - would get
stuck. Except a bendy.....