Old July 29th 09, 07:39 PM posted to uk.railway,misc.transport.urban-transit,uk.transport.london
1506 1506 is offline

Default More sweaty armpits on the new Overground stock

On Jul 29, 11:37*am, CJB wrote:
Seems like the open plan layout of the new Overground stock is ideal
for commuters to be crammed in cattle truck style armpit to armpit -
as usual. BUT it seems to me that the wide open layout is an accident
waiting to happen. With a long wide standing room only 'corridor'
running from one end to the other imagine what kind of a pile up of
bodies there could be in a Moorgate type crash. Or what would happen
if one train rear-ended another as a commuter train did in washington
recently. It seems to me that in creating so much standing room - with
very little to hang on to - that even an aggressive application of the
brakes - perhaps to avoid an obstruction on the line - would result in
a pile of bodies at one end. CJB.

AFIK these trains will not run into a terminal tunnel. This was a
major factor in the Moorgate crash. One hopes that we will soon have
signaling systems capable of halting trains before they can collide.
I have never seen the inside of these trains. I cannot understand why
they are not fitted with straps and a hanging rail after the manner of
tube trains.