Old July 30th 09, 10:36 AM posted to uk.railway,uk.transport.london
Chris Tolley[_2_] Chris  Tolley[_2_] is offline

Default Stations named after commercial entities

Roland Perry wrote:

In message , at 17:24:48 on
Wed, 29 Jul 2009, Chris Tolley remarked:
Yes, weird spelling - what's wrong with 'St Francis Shopping Centre', eh?

In the USA it would normally be "Center".

*whoosh*

You've got me there. With a choice of four words that might be spelt
weird, which of the other three would you nominate?

A: The first two. (Since it seems you haven't noticed.)

I have no sensible comment to make, given that various people now assure
me it was a joke in the first place.

Oh dear. Let's try to explain.

The first comment was that, because of the spelling, it was "poncey" to
say "San Francisco Shopping Centre" (presumably because Americans don't
spell "center" that way.)

The second comment was jokily to agree, correcting the spelling, to say
"St Francis Shopping Centre" (because that's how Brits (and Americans,
when speaking English) spell "San Francisco")

Is that any clearer?

--
http://gallery120232.fotopic.net/p9683700.html
(51411 (Class 117) at Ludlow, 11 Jun 1985)