Old July 30th 09, 01:17 PM posted to uk.transport.london,uk.railway
Martin Deutsch Martin Deutsch is offline

Default Class 378 in service

On 29 July, 19:09, Paul Corfield wrote:
The fact one pair of doors is open while the guard
shuts the others just means people dash and plead with the guard to be
allowed on - this certainly happened with the lunchtime trip I saw at
Highbury where there is a constant stream of passengers.

I have, in the past, turned up just in the nick of time for an
Oveground train, and arrived on the platform just after the guard shut
the doors. I was pleasantly surprised to be allowed to get on through
the guard's compartment, and then into the main saloon[1].
Admittedly, it wasn't at rush hour, when I can see this being a little
less likely to happen.

[1] From the list of "words that rarely get used outside railway-
speak". see also 'vestibule'.