Old August 5th 09, 01:41 PM posted to uk.transport.london
Lucas Lucas is offline

Default Wandsworth Town station gateline

On 5 Aug, 12:59, Commuter wrote:
Lucas wrote:
I don't know why they couldn't have foreseen it, but when I saw those
four gates being installed at Wandsworth town a week or two ago I knew
that could never be enough. They're been put into use today and it's
just causing so many problems already with queues all the way up the
stairs onto the platforms almost. This is a very busy station with a
narrow corridor that can only take 3 normal + 1 wide gate which is
just nowhere near enough. They could've maybe built something in a
semi-circle at the very end of the corridor which would allow for a
couple of extra gates? Because is just not going to work.

I've seen several ticket gate installations of late where I can't see
how the guidance notes for the Railway Group Standards have been
followed at all.

http://www.rgsonline.co.uk/Railway_G...astructure/Gui...

How binding are these on the TOCs? Can we report this to anyone?

Just reading this now:

Ensure sufficient ATGs are installed at each entrance/exit to ensure
no
person has to wait more than a maximum of five minutes to pass through
the ATGs. This figure has been applied to all ATG schemes installed on
the
national rail network to date, although station operators should aim
achieve a waiting time of no more than three minutes.

5 minutes of extra waiting time to get through a gate? Who on earth
thinks that's an acceptable extra burden for every passenger? I would
say 10 or 20 seconds extra, max.