Old August 6th 09, 03:52 PM posted to uk.transport.london

Default Wandsworth Town station gateline

In article ,
(Paul Corfield) wrote:

On Thu, 06 Aug 2009 06:14:21 -0500,

wrote:

In article ,
(David Cantrell) wrote:

On Wed, Aug 05, 2009 at 04:02:30PM +0100, Paul Corfield wrote:

On LUL we plan to make sure that the gates are not an evacuation
route pinch point and also that there are sufficient gates for the
highest peak 5 minute combined flow rate. This should mean there
is very little queuing at a gateline although I recognise some
locations fare better than others in this respect.

Quite. I can't remember the last time I was seriously delayed
*leaving* a tube station. And yet it happens just about every time
I have to go through barriers at Victoria.

I think the fact that £700m is to be spent expanding capacity at
Victoria is indicative that the place is seriously below capacity hence
the queuing time.

Oh, much needed for sure, but they still don't get whole trainloads
turning up at once at a small barrier line as on a mainline terminal
platform.

How many tube stations have the full trainloads through barriers
experience of London Terminal stations, though?

Not many but I would nominate Brixton and Stratford JLE given the huge
flows they generate. Nonetheless the longer distances from train to
gateline at Stratford (modern standards in use) and the escalators at
Brixton will cause flows to stretch out or be channeled in a way that
does not happen on NR. Walthamstow Central can get bad at the very
height of the peak and Bank W&C is another example of full trains
(albeit little ones) and very little space to the gateline.

I've never been on a Southbound Victoria Line trains that wasn't a lot
less full after Victoria than before. Or do they fill up again at
Stockwell? Haven;t seen them do so at Vauxhall.

Nonetheless I suspect the 5 minute delay parameter might apply for NR
terminal stations but should not (IMO) apply at all to other locations
where flows are lower and where they may be some distance between train
and gateline.

Not that Wandsworth Town comes anywhere near their either.

Well exactly. I'd still contend that having people queuing on stairs is
not a satisfactory situation.

We agree then.

--
Colin Rosenstiel