Old August 10th 09, 09:34 AM posted to uk.transport.buses,uk.transport.london
[email protected] boltar2003@yahoo.co.uk is offline

Default Routemaster registrations

On Mon, 10 Aug 2009 10:24:18 +0100
Bruce wrote:

On 10 Aug 2009 08:36:02 GMT, Adrian wrote:
Bruce gurgled happily, sounding much like they
were saying:
Is the plate still in the same format, though, with the Département
number still being shown? Or is it a completely new system?

No, it's changed completely. They can put the dept number on a blue band
to the right hand edge, mirroring the F nationality identifier, but it's
optional and doesn't signify anything much.

They look more like the current Italian or Spanish plates - AA123AA, with
nothing meaning anything more than the rough order the plates were
issued. All new cars are being issued them, of course, but also anything
that moves between dept on resale. Dunno about stuff that's sold within a
dept, since I presume they're centralising the records.

dons black armband for another little thing that made France France.

That's sad.

I can't imagine why they didn't just adapt the previous system.

I haven't been following this thread so maybe this has been mentioned
already - but previously I believe the plates had to change if the owners
address changed and he had to register his car in a new department. Now the
plates stay with the car for life like they do here so I guess they feel
the dept. is irrelevant. Though I suppose they could have done as here in
having the very first registration location on the plate.

B2003