Old August 10th 09, 02:09 PM posted to uk.transport.london
MIG MIG is offline

Default OT River dividers

On 10 Aug, 02:25, "Basil Jet"
wrote:
http://maps.google.co.uk/maps?hl=en&...8,-0.044458&sp...

Salmons Brook and Pymmes Brook both have dividing walls in their centre. The
walls end where the two brooks meet and then a new dividing wall starts
after the junction. Why is this?

If you track the combined brook southwards, it nearly meet the Lea at
Stonebridge Locks, but has its own channel alongside it to just past
Tottenham Locks. Why is the brook deliberately kept apart from the Lea
Navigation?

On the last bit I'd guess it's at a different level, so has to join on
the south side of the lock or else be a waterfall?

On the first, I wonder if it's a way of blocking one side at a time to
clear it out or control the flow? I can't remember seeing that
elsewhere except when there's a structure on top of the river (or one
side of it), but going into the canal maybe means it has to be
controlled.