Old August 11th 09, 04:56 PM posted to uk.transport.london
Recliner[_2_] Recliner[_2_] is offline

Default Walk-through trains

"John B" wrote in message

On Aug 11, 5:38 pm, Steve Fitzgerald ] wrote:
The replacement for 73 stock is already out for tender. Last I heard,
there are 3 contenders - Alstom, Bombardier and one other (who's name
escapes me). My money is on an updated, and hopefully much improved,
95 stock as that would allow Tubelines to standardise their
stockholdings for spares and the like over their three lines.

Unfortunately in this brave new world of PPP, TfL or LU have little
choice in supplier, just an overall 'give us some new trains, guv'
and suppliers (Tubelines in this case) get on with it and send the
bill along.

Not sure I follow here. Surely, since the costs fall on Tubelines,
having them responsible for the choice of supplier makes sense - and
as you say, makes them likely to pick Almost...?

Yes, indicated that it was Tube Line's decision, not TfL's or LU's, so
Alstom does seem like the obvious choice. But if Bombardier come up with
a very good offer, they'd still have a chance. In any case, whoever gets
the order is presumably then responsible for maintaining the trains.