Old August 11th 09, 05:06 PM posted to uk.transport.london
Bruce[_2_] Bruce[_2_] is offline

Default Walk-through trains

On Tue, 11 Aug 2009 16:25:13 +0000 (UTC),
wrote:

Yes, but in the long term I think it would be better to have a few common
types of trains rather than saving a few quid with some other manufacturer
who'll cut everything to the bone to win the contract.

Other metro systems use this approach , I don't see why LUL can't. Its not
as if LULs approach has brought us particularly good trains so far anyway.

Indeed. The rot set in when BREL/ABB/Adtranz or whatever they were
called at the time got the contract for the 1992 stock for the Central
Line, which helped spell the end of Metro-Cammell's operations at
Washwood Heath.

It didn't open up the market to competition, it jusr eliminated one
train builder.