Old August 11th 09, 09:39 PM posted to uk.transport.london
zen83237 zen83237 is offline

Default Not in my back yard

"Roland Perry" wrote in message
news
In message , at 22:43:20 on Mon,
10 Aug 2009, Zen83237 remarked:
Can somebody explain how building the depot creates hundreds of jobs. Will
the new Thameslink trains be that much more unreliable than the existing
trains that they need more maintenance.
Surely the existing trains are maintained so why does the new Thameslink
require hundreds of extra maintenance staff.

The new trains will have more carriages than the old. But they may also be
factoring in a reluctance of staff at the old depot (where is that?) to
the new ones, resulting in *local* recruitment.

I thought that the figure I saw was an extra 500 staff. So a few extra
coaches will require an extra 500 people!!! I thought that modern electric
stock required very little maintenance.

Kevin