Old December 24th 03, 04:58 PM posted to uk.transport.london,uk.railway,misc.transport.urban-transit
Matthew P Jones Matthew P Jones is offline

Default Metropolian Line question

wrote on Mon, 22 Dec 2003 -
In the 1950's I lived in North Harrow and think the Met had only two

tracks
running between Harrow on the Hill and Moor Park and beyond. A recent

photo
shows a second set of lines on the south west side of the station.

That could of course have been the BR (ex-GCR) lines. South of and

including
Harrow-on-the-Hill they are on the south-western side of the formation,
giving Harrow three island platforms (from south to north Marylebone
down/up, Met down and Met up). I can't remember whether this arrangement
continues north of Harrow Junction.

As far as I've been able to gather from various sources, Harrow-On-The-Hill
has always been the point where, heading south, the GC and Met parted ways.
In "Great Central Railway's London Extension" by Robert Robotham, two
different track plans are given for Harrow-On-The-Hill:

If it is of any interest, I have put a picture of Harrow on the Hill in
the 1930s here

http://www.metroland.nildram.co.uk/harrow.htm

I don't have full details of the picture to hand, but you can see the
new station being built over the old
--
Matthew P Jones - www.amersham.org.uk
My view of the Metropolitan Line www.metroland.org.uk - actually I like it