Old August 12th 09, 10:10 AM posted to uk.transport.london
Recliner[_2_] Recliner[_2_] is offline

Default Walk-through trains

"James Farrar" wrote in message
. 1.4
Steve Fitzgerald ] wrote in
:

In message op.uyjjm50pby8eno@sheepdog, Colin McKenzie
writes

The replacement for 73 stock is already out for tender.

That's a bit early, isn't it? If the modernisation programme is over
budget, deferring this build would be one way to spread the cost.

IIRC the 73 stock went into service in 1975, so its replacements
shouldn't be needed until 2015.

It's (currently!) designated 13 Tube Stock so that's about right.

Is there a public source for that?

http://www.tubelines.com/news/releas.../20070115.aspx says that
"Tube Lines is committed to introducing a new rolling stock fleet by
2014", hence the Font Of All Knowledge is calling it 2014 stock:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2014_tube_stock

I notice the press release says, "Requesting expressions of interest
from manufacturers is the first stage of the procurement process leading
to selection and contract award by Tube Lines, anticipated at the end of
2008". Well, that's not happened yet, so I guess the in-service date is
also slipping.

I think the 2009 stock was ordered in about April 2003, and it took more
than six years for the first train to enter late night service. I assume
the full 2009 stock service won't be till 2011. On that basis, if the
new Picc stock really is ordered this year, the 1973 TS will probably
still be in daily use when it's 40 years old in 2015.