Old August 12th 09, 03:05 PM posted to uk.transport.london,uk.railway
Tom Barry Tom Barry is offline

Default Walk-through trains

Bruce wrote:

So it is in everyone's interests that cars become much more frugal and
emit far less CO2, because people aren't going to give up the freedom
of travelling in their own private, secure and comfortable air
conditioned space.

....until it's too expensive. Actually, quite a lot of people in London
have managed to give it up, haven't they?

There are other modes than rail; bus, walking and cycling to name three
- what the 94/6 split doesn't give you is
any idea of the relative length of journeys - obviously modal shifting
the shortest 6% of car journeys has less effect on CO2 emissions and
energy use than the longest 6% of car journeys. If I walked/cycled/got
the bus to Sainsbury's instead of driving to Tesco once in every two
shops, I've reduced my car use markedly, but it's probably only a total
of under 100 miles a year across about 50 trips. If I take the train to
Birmingham and back instead of driving, it's 200 miles less car use
straight off in two trips.

Tom