Old August 13th 09, 11:22 AM posted to uk.transport.london
Recliner[_2_] Recliner[_2_] is offline

Default Walk-through trains

"DW downunder" noname wrote in message
"MIG" wrote in message
On 13 Aug, 09:51, wrote:
On Wed, 12 Aug 2009 19:40:33 +0100

Paul Corfield wrote:

If apparently the 09 stock did get dragged through the piccadilly
line tunnels without incident then we can't be talking much
difference between
09 and other tube stocks can we? Maybe a few centimeters one way
or the other at most which surely wouldn't make much difference to
equipment?

Did it arrive that way? I thought it was delivered by road rather
than rail and then across the tube network. I'd genuinely like to
know the answer to this so if anyone can point me at the facts it'd
be good.

Thats what people on here were saying. I've no idea if its true. But
it occured to me that the victoria line uses an old piccadilly line
tunnel on the northbound at finsbury park and I very much doubt they
would have bothered to spend a fortune to enlarge it by a few inches
so as 09 stock has to fit through it must be pretty close to
standard tube gauge. B2003

Isn't it more to do with the bends rather than the diameter?

AIUI, the '09 units on test were road delivered. They are out of
gauge for other tube lines (we're talking maybe 20-25mm) with the
appropriate kinematic envelope for operational speeds. I suspect they
could be crawled through tight spots if the need arose. Current
practice (as distinct from past LT practice) would suggest little if
any need for through operation on other lines, and no plans to
"cascade" stock.
Finsbury Park was extensively remodelled to provide UP-UP and
DOWN-DOWN train flows and cross platform interchanges between Picc
and Vic. It replaced the previous layout which provided for
terminating GN&C trains of "main line" loading gauge. The line of the
Victoria route means that little if any old Piccadilly running tunnel
remains in use as such. As the Vic has just been going through a
rebuild from the track up, any minor structure gauge anolomies would
have been dealt with.

The ever-reliable Wiki source says that the 2009 stock is 2.68m wide and
the 1973 stock 2.629, so the 2009 stock is apparently 5cm or 2" wider.
It also says that, "Unlike the 1967 Tube Stock, the trains are built 40
millimetres (1.6 in) wider to take advantage of the Victoria line's
slightly larger than normal loading gauge compared to the other deep
level tube lines."